Friday, February 18, 2011

#7

I found the article "The medium is the message" to be very interesting. It really makes one think about the type of media and idea of conveyed through, and how the media is very important to the message it is conveying. A Christmas Card email is much different than a physical card that has the exact same text. Much of what something says has to do with how it is said.

A part of the essay I really liked is the quote about how "Apple Pie is not good or bad: it is the way that it is used that determines it's value". In this quote, I believe he is referring to the idea that context has a lot to do with situations. In that way, the media is often vital to what a message it trying to convey. In a personal example, at work I can send my boss an email about something, but the difference between emailing her and walking into her office is drastic. In that way, the way I convey that information is vital to showing how serious I am.

Another part I enjoyed was the quote by the former Pope on pg 208. He mentions that there needs to be an equalibrium between Communication methods & our reaction capacity. I found this 1950 quote very interesting and wonder how he would react to our society 60 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment