The article "Consequences of Social Media" was very interesting. I checked the publishing date (Good habit I am developing in this class), and it was published in 2008. This allows the article to still be very relevant in it's descriptions of social networking, but I also believe a few of their issues have actually gotten worse over the past few years.
The first thing that struck me about this analysis of the digital age is the idea of anxiety. I believe that this cannot be more accurate. Social networking can have very positive or negative effects on one's mental health. A favorite part of the article for me was the fact that they compare introverts & extroverts use of online social networking. Both types of people keep very different relationships with those around them, and as a result their social networking relationships will reflect that.
After all the complicated equations, I really liked the paragraph relating to the number of friends in an online social network in comparison to the number of friends in real life. It also mentions the idea of adding people who you do now know on social networking sites, something that is brought up in social networking and differs from person to person.
No comments:
Post a Comment